call for art
From the creators of “Post-Rustbelt: Living Between America”, comes “Rustbelt: REDUX“. This exhibition seeks to showcase works of art that capture the “Post-Rustbelt”, “Middle America” experience of life during the decades following the decline of industry (mid 1970’s) to beyond the turn of the millennium. Only this time… we are looking for more grit, more apocalyptic, more deconstruction, more political, and… more… rust!
Rustbelt states are most often thought to include New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Great Lakes Canada is also included. Although regional in the nature of the content, the show is open to national artists who may have migrated away from the rustbelt, as this exodus is also an important aspect of the the Rustbelt experience
We are seeking artwork representative of, but not limited to: heavy industry decline; the disappearance of main street (and subsequent rise of hyper consumerism and gentrification); general life (artistic, social, work, family, otherwise); caught between changes (i.e. holding onto a past way of life while searching for new identity); and/or juxtapositions of old and new. We are welcoming works this year that are apocalyptic, visionary, destructive, and/or political.
Works are accepted from Emerging, Mid-Career, and/or Professional Artists. Work should somehow relate to the theme of the show.
“Rustbelt: REDUX” In-Person opening reception party will be held Saturday, March 26th, 2022 at 6 PM.
- “Rustbelt: REDUX” is open to any artists over age 18, within the United States and Canada.
- Work should ideally have been created in the last three years, and must be the original artwork, ready to display.
- The specific work must not have been previously displayed in a Vestige Concept Gallery exhibit.
- Work must be for sale. (No “NFS” or deliberate overpricing)
- No Giclees or reproductions of original works will be accepted unless the work itself is a Giclee or digital. (Please note this in the media tag, if applicable).
- All entries and fees will be processed through www.callforentry.org
- Applicants may submit up to nine (9) entries. Two (2) entries are included in the $27 application.
- An additional charge of $5 per entry is charged for any additional submissions over 2.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE is Thursday, March 10th, at Midnight (MST)
- Artists will be notified of acceptance by Sunday March 13th
- Shipped works of art must arrive no later than Wednesday, March 23rd 2022
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
- Artists accepted into the show must reply email confirmation upon acceptance, and later, be willing to provide an artist pic, short bio, and web/social links (if applicable). These items are necessary for the Online version of the show and other promotion. By submitting this information, you provide Vestige Concept Gallery all rights to post the work on their gallery website and within a paper brochure for the event.
- Accepted artwork must be the actual artwork as seen in the submitted images. No substitutions. Vestige Concept Gallery reserves the right to pull any artwork that differs from the images in the accepted submission. Any Giclees will automatically be pulled from the show unless it was initially stated that the work itself is a Giclee.
- Accepted artwork listed for sale must be for the price listed in the submission. No last-minute price changes.
- Vestige Concept Gallery will retain a 30% commission for any artwork sold–please factor this into your pricing.
- Artists are responsible for shipping & optional shipping insurance to and from Vestige Concept Gallery. A prepaid return shipping label must be included. Fedex or UPS only. No cash or checks.
- Shipped work must be sent in reusable, sturdy boxes and marked with your name. No loose peanuts. Artwork framed with glass is the responsibility of the artist and is not recommended. Artwork with glass that arrives in broken condition may be pulled from the event if artist is unable to remedy the issue.
- Late or damaged work will not be exhibited.
- Art damaged in transit is solely the responsibility of the artist and shipper. Artwork may also be hand-delivered, if applicable.
- Wall pieces MUST be securely wired, framed, and properly prepared for display. Painted edges and/or a clean edge gallery wrap (i.e. the gallery edges were masked off prior to painting), are acceptable. Sawtooth is ok for photography and small work only, that weighs less than 5 pounds
- 2D Work must not exceed 30lbs, including frame. 3D work or audio/video must be available to discuss the display with gallery member, if selected, and you will be placed into “waitlist” status and be contacted by the gallery. 3D artists may wish to inquire with the gallery first before submitting.
MAR 10 – Application deadline
MAR 13 – Acceptance notification
MAR 23 – Deadline for shipped or dropped-off work
MAR 26 – Opening Reception
MAR/APR — normal business hours
APR 24 – Show closes
APR 25/26 – Unsold artwork is packaged and shipped back
Any questions please reach out to: email@example.com
All applications must be received through callforentry.org
Thank you for your interest in appyling!
Minimum 2 work samples, Artist Bio and Statement
18+, US and Canada
© 2021 Vestige Concept Gallery, 5417 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201